Sunday, June 21, 2009

Memories of my Father

Happy Father's Day To All-

“One of the things that my parents have taught me is never listen to other people’s expectations. You should live your own life and live up to your own expectations, and those are the only things I really care about it.” Tiger Woods

I thought since it is Father’s Day issue, I would pay homage to him. My father passed away on February 16, 2003 at 9:30am. We all said our good-byes and as we sat in the small conference room waiting for the chaplain or the doctor (I can’t remember clearly) I heard the venting machine beep loudly announcing that my father took his last breath. I will never forget how devastating it felt.

My father had three girls and one grandson. We all had a different relationship with him. Because I was the baby, I was the last to leave the house, so I spent everyday with him. Even after I got married, I went over to the house and spent time with him and my mother. My mom would cook breakfast for us every morning before we headed to work. My father did not say much, but when he did, you knew it was serious and you should listen. So, we talked everyday briefly but I always knew he loved me and I never worried about that. As a matter of fact, I never told my dad I loved him until he was in the emergency room laying on a wooden slate upside down preparing to have emergency surgery. But we knew the love between father and daughter was there. When I was in high school, he would always give me an allowance each day. I would save most of the money and by the end of the week, I had enough money to buy a book or something I wanted. When I got married, he still continued to give me an allowance of three dollars a day. I looked for this money too. Before I would head out for work I would go to him and say “daddy, you got my three dollars?” He would laugh and turn his back and look in his wallet and give me the money. We did this up until the day he passed away. I missed it. It was just something we did.

My father, Willie Miller, Jr, took good care of his family and he ensured we all had what we needed to live good, happy, and peaceful lives. He taught us to depend on ourselves and work for what we want out of life. He worked hard everyday for the things we wanted and needed in life. I miss him every day and sometimes I hear him speaking to me or I think of something he used to do and it brings a smile to my face. He was a quiet but strong man and he believed in family. Take this Father’s Day and say I love you to your father or the man who raised you and has taken care of you. Let him know you appreciate him. 
I really wish I could give my father three dollars…

No comments: